For more than 50 years now, Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation has offered scholarships opportunity to college students in Nebraska to first-time freshmen entering colleges across Nebraska.
The scholarship is highly competitive and is awarded to students who live in Nebraska and graduate from a Nebraska high school (or GED) and planning to attend a Nebraska public college.
Recipients must demonstrate financial needs because the scholarship is limited and the Foundation is unable to provide awards to all eligible candidates.
FAQ on Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation Scholarship
1. Who is eligible to apply for the Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation Scholarship?
To be a potential recipient of the Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation Scholarship you must meet the following criteria
- You must reside in Nebraska and meet in-state residency requirements of the college or university in which you are planning to attend
- DACA, undocumented, or DACA eligible students are still eligible to apply.
- You must be a graduate from a Nebraska high school or earn a Nebraska GED.
- Obtain a minimum GPA of 2.0 in high school (or 77 on a 100 point scale).
- Be a first-time freshman when entering college.
- Evidence to show that you need financial assistance in order to attend college.
- Applicants do not need to be Pell Grant yo be eligible.
Note that you will be required to present an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) up to $10,000 to apply.
This scholarship is highly competitive; meeting the eligibility requirements does not guarantee a scholarship award.
2. Where can I use the Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation Scholarship?
Once you are a recipient, you can use the scholarship to fund your tuition fees and some other expenses at any of the following Nebraska public colleges:
Nebraska Community Colleges-
- Central Community College (CCC)
- Little Priest Tribal College (LPTC)
- Metropolitan Community College (MCC)
- Mid-Plains Community College (MPCC)
- Nebraska Indian Community College (NICC)
- Northeast Community College (NECC)
- Southeast Community College (SCC)
- Western Nebraska Community College (WNCC)
- Nebraska State College System-
- Chadron State College (CSC)
- Peru State College (PSC)
- Wayne State College (WSC)
The University of Nebraska System-
- Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture (NCTA)
- University of Nebraska Kearney (UNK)
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL)
- University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC)
- University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO)
- The scholarship can only be used at the above Nebraska public colleges. The scholarship cannot be used at private or out-of-state colleges.
3. When to apply for this scholarship?
The Susan Thompson Buffett Scholarship application is open for applicants online starting from November 1st and the deadline is February 1st at 5 pm CST/4 pm MST.
4. What is the mode of selection for the Susan Thompson Buffett Scholarship?
All the submitted applications are first reviewed, and who gets to receive the award will be based on the following criteria:
- Financial need
- Academic merit
- Personal essay
5. How do I know I have received the scholarship?
Eligible applicants for the Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation Scholarship will receive a notification via email by May 1st.
6. Do I need to submit a high school transcript to be eligible?
Yes. An official transcript is required while filling the form online application. Your transcript must include the following information:
Full name, DOB, & high school name
Cumulative unweighted GPA
All high school coursework with grades
Current work in progress (if provided by high school)
If your transcript is missing any of the information above, it is invalid and will not be accepted until it is corrected.
7. Do I need to file a FAFSA?
Yes. Candidates that are eligible for federal financial aid, are required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), at studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa. But, if you’re not eligible for FAFSA, the College Funding Estimator (CFE) is right for you instead of the FAFSA. The CFE can be found here: https://apps.educationquest.org/estimator/20212022/estimator.htm
8. How to submit recommendation letter for the Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation
Your recommendation letter must contain:
- The full name, title, email address, and phone number of your recommender in the recommendation section of your application.
- It has to be — and come from a professional (such as your high-school teacher, school administrator, counselor, coach, employer, clergy, or other adult mentor in your life).
- Any recommendations aside from a professional body whether from family members, or family or personal friends will NOT be accepted.
- The person recommending you will receive an email with the recommendation form, and once they fill out and submit the form, the recommendation will automatically upload to your application with an email confirming that your recommendation is complete.
9. If I receive a scholarship, do I need to reapply each year?
No! You don’t need to reapply. Your scholarship will automatically renew every semester for up to 5 years at a four-year college or up to 3 years at a two-year college. However, you must continue to meet the scholarship requirements, or until you graduate, whichever comes first.
10. What expenses does this scholarship cover?
The Susan Thompson Buffett Scholarship funds can be used to cover any part of your cost of attendance (COA) at any of the eligible Nebraska public colleges. This expense can include resident tuition, fees, books, room and board, personal expenses, and transportation.